Daily Activities – James Brown (1962)
The daily activities created for each of the Today in Georgia History segments are designed to meet the Georgia Performance Standards for Reading Across the Curriculum, and Grade Eight: Georgia Studies. For each date, educators can choose from three optional activities differentiated for various levels of student ability. Each activity focuses on engaging the student in context specific vocabulary and improving the student’s ability to communicate about historical topics.
One suggestion is to use the Today in Georgia History video segments and daily activities as a “bell ringer” at the beginning of each class period. Using the same activity daily provides consistency and structure for the students and may help teachers utilize the first 15-20 minutes of class more effectively.
Level 1: Provide the students with the vocabulary list and have them use their textbook, a dictionary, or other teacher provided materials to define each term. After watching the video have the students write a complete sentence for each of the vocabulary terms. Student created sentences should reflect the meaning of the word based on the context of the video segment. Have students share a sampling of sentences as a way to check for understanding.
Level 2: Provide the students with the vocabulary list for that day’s segment before watching the video and have them guess the meaning of each word based on their previous knowledge. The teacher may choose to let the students work alone or in groups. After watching the video, have the students revise their definitions to better reflect the meaning of the words based on the context of the video. As a final step, have the students compare and contrast their definitions to their textbook, dictionary or other teacher provided materials definitions.
Level 3: Provide the students with the vocabulary list and have them use their textbook, a dictionary, or other teacher provided materials to define each term. After watching the video, have the students write a five sentence paragraph based on the provided writing prompts.
1. Do you think that life experiences influence the songs a musician writes and preforms? In a five sentence paragraph explain how James Brown’s experiences growing up may have influenced his music.
2. Have you ever been to a concert, or seen someone perform live? Did you enjoy the performance? James Brown was known for a dramatic stage style. In a five sentence paragraph explain in your own words what the term dramatic means in the context of musical performance, and then explain what your favorite type of performance style is.
3.Using your knowledge of United States and Georgia History, write a five sentence paragraph describing some of the difficulties James Brown may have faced growing up in the 1930s and 1940s.
Related Georgia Performance Standards:
Reading Across the Curriculum (Grades 6-12)
SSRC1 Students will enhance reading in all curriculum areas by:
c. Building vocabulary knowledge
• Demonstrate an understanding of contextual vocabulary in various subjects.
• Use content vocabulary in writing and speaking.
• Explore understanding of new words found in subject area texts.
d. Establishing context
• Explore life experiences related to subject area content.
• Discuss in both writing and speaking how certain words are subject area related.
• Determine strategies for finding content and contextual meaning for unknown words.
Grade 8 Georgia Studies
SS8H10 The student will evaluate key post-World War II developments of Georgia from 1945 to 1970.
a. Analyze the impact of the transformation of agriculture on Georgia’s growth.
b. Explain how the development of Atlanta, including the roles of mayors William B. Hartsfield and Ivan Allen, Jr., and major league sports, contributed to the growth of Georgia.
c. Discuss the impact of Ellis Arnall.
Grade (6-8) – Music Appreciation
D. Cultural and Historical Context
MMSMA.8 – Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts
a. Describe ways in which other disciplines taught in the school are interrelated with those of music.
b. Identify and describe common terminology used in music and another fine art.
c. Discover and research persons who have achieved professional or commercial success in more than one fine art discipline.
MMSMA.9 – Understanding music in relation to history and culture
a. Identify and explain a particular music example’s historical and cultural significance.
b. Compare and evaluate the roles of musicians throughout history.
c. Recognize music’s role in today’s culture.