Daily Activities – Jimmy Carter
The daily activities created for each of the Today in Georgia History segments are designed to meet the Georgia Performance Standards for Reading Across the Curriculum, and Grade Eight: Georgia Studies. For each date, educators can choose from three optional activities differentiated for various levels of student ability. Each activity focuses on engaging the student in context specific vocabulary and improving the student’s ability to communicate about historical topics.
One suggestion is to use the Today in Georgia History video segments and daily activities as a “bell ringer” at the beginning of each class period. Using the same activity daily provides consistency and structure for the students and may help teachers utilize the first 15-20 minutes of class more effectively.
Level 1: Provide the students with the vocabulary list and have them use their textbook, a dictionary, or other teacher provided materials to define each term. After watching the video have the students write a complete sentence for each of the vocabulary terms. Student created sentences should reflect the meaning of the word based on the context of the video segment. Have students share a sampling of sentences as a way to check for understanding.
Level 2: Provide the students with the vocabulary list for that day’s segment before watching the video and have them guess the meaning of each word based on their previous knowledge. The teacher may choose to let the students work alone or in groups. After watching the video, have the students revise their definitions to better reflect the meaning of the words based on the context of the video. As a final step, have the students compare and contrast their definitions to their textbook, dictionary or other teacher provided materials definitions.
Level 3: Provide the students with the vocabulary list and have them use their textbook, a dictionary, or other teacher provided materials to define each term. After watching the video, have the students write a five sentence paragraph based on the provided writing prompts.
1. What qualifications do you think a presidential candidate should have? Does it surprise you that Jimmy Carter was able to go from Peanut Farmer to Governor to President of the United States of America? Is it important for a presidential candidate to be successful and ambitious as this segment argues Jimmy Carter was? In a five sentence paragraph explain what qualifications you think are important for a Presidential candidate, and examine how Jimmy Carter fits, or does not fit your qualifications.
2.The video mentions a few of the accomplishments Jimmy Carter had as President. How did Jimmy Carter’s national accomplishments, such as the Camp David Accords, impact Georgia? In a five sentence paragraph explain how Jimmy Carter’s role as President may have impacted the state of Georgia.
3. What happens to presidents after their term in office? In a five sentence paragraph describe what you think the role of former presidents should be, and describe the roles Jimmy Carter took on as an ex-president.
Related Georgia Performance Standards:
Reading Across the Curriculum (Grades 6-12)
SSRC1 Students will enhance reading in all curriculum areas by:
c. Building vocabulary knowledge
• Demonstrate an understanding of contextual vocabulary in various subjects.
• Use content vocabulary in writing and speaking.
• Explore understanding of new words found in subject area texts.
d. Establishing context
• Explore life experiences related to subject area content.
• Discuss in both writing and speaking how certain words are subject area related.
• Determine strategies for finding content and contextual meaning for unknown words.
Grade 8 Georgia Studies
SS8H12 The student will explain the importance of significant social, economic, and political developments in Georgia since 1970.
a. Evaluate the consequences of the end of the county unit system and reapportionment.
b. Describe the role of Jimmy Carter in Georgia as state senator, governor, president, and past president.
c. Analyze the impact of the rise of the two-party system in Georgia.
d. Evaluate the effect of the 1996 Olympic Games on Georgia.
e. Evaluate the importance of new immigrant communities to the growth and economy of Georgia