Daily Activities – Richard Von Albade Gammon (1897)
The daily activities created for each of the Today in Georgia History segments are designed to meet the Georgia Performance Standards for Reading Across the Curriculum, and Grade Eight: Georgia Studies. For each date, educators can choose from three optional activities differentiated for various levels of student ability. Each activity focuses on engaging the student in context specific vocabulary and improving the student’s ability to communicate about historical topics.
One suggestion is to use the Today in Georgia History video segments and daily activities as a “bell ringer” at the beginning of each class period. Using the same activity daily provides consistency and structure for the students and may help teachers utilize the first 15-20 minutes of class more effectively.
Level 1: Provide the students with the vocabulary list and have them use their textbook, a dictionary, or other teacher provided materials to define each term. After watching the video have the students write a complete sentence for each of the vocabulary terms. Student created sentences should reflect the meaning of the word based on the context of the video segment. Have students share a sampling of sentences as a way to check for understanding.
Level 2: Provide the students with the vocabulary list for that day’s segment before watching the video and have them guess the meaning of each word based on their previous knowledge. The teacher may choose to let the students work alone or in groups. After watching the video, have the students revise their definitions to better reflect the meaning of the words based on the context of the video. As a final step, have the students compare and contrast their definitions to their textbook, dictionary or other teacher provided materials definitions.
Level 3: Provide the students with the vocabulary list and have them use their textbook, a dictionary, or other teacher provided materials to define each term. After watching the video, have the students write a five sentence paragraph based on the provided writing prompts.
1. Is it surprising to you that there was a time in America’s history that people were calling for a national ban on football? In a five sentence paragraph explain the reasons why some citizens wanted to outlaw football, and then describe how Von Gammon’s death galvanized supporters of banning the sport.
2. How does the story of Richard Von Gammon teach us about the role our state legislature and executive branch plays in the Georgia state government? In a five sentence paragraph explain the process the bill outlawing football in Georgia went through, and what prevented it from becoming a law.
3. Were you surprised that the person who convinced Governor Atkinson not to sign the ban on football into law was Von Gammon’s mother? In a five sentence paragraph explain why Von Gammon’s mother wanted football to continue, and then predict what some of the ways Von Gammon’s mother changed the sport of football.
Related Georgia Performance Standards:
Reading Across the Curriculum (Grades 6-12)
SSRC1 Students will enhance reading in all curriculum areas by:
c. Building vocabulary knowledge
• Demonstrate an understanding of contextual vocabulary in various subjects.
• Use content vocabulary in writing and speaking.
• Explore understanding of new words found in subject area texts.
d. Establishing context
• Explore life experiences related to subject area content.
• Discuss in both writing and speaking how certain words are subject area related.
• Determine strategies for finding content and contextual meaning for unknown words.
Grade 8 Georgia Studies
SS8H7 The student will evaluate key political, social, and economic changes that occurred in Georgia between 1877 and 1918.
S8CG2 The student will analyze the role of the legislative branch in Georgia state government.
a. Explain the qualifications, term, election, and duties of members of the General Assembly.
b. Describe the organization of the General Assembly, with emphasis on leadership and the committee system.
c. Evaluate how the legislative branch fulfills its role as the lawmaking body for the state of Georgia.
SS8CG3 The student will analyze the role of the executive branch in Georgia state government.
a. Explain the qualifications, term, election, and duties of the governor and lieutenant governor.
b. Describe the organization of the executive branch, with emphasis on major policy areas of state programs; include education, human resources, public safety, transportation, economic development, and natural resources.
c. Evaluate how the executive branch fulfills its role through state agencies that administer programs and enforce laws.